Saturday 13 April 2013

Spring Craft Fair

     Plans for Sunday? Feel like shopping but want to avoid the lines and impersonal aura of the mall? Look no further! This Sunday, April 14 at the Bronson Center there is going to be a fantastic craft fair from 10:00am to 3:00pm. Booth after booth of fabulous local vendors, crafters and artisans will be selling their wares. I'll be there too! My great friend, Steph and I are sharing a table. She paints the most adorable and whimsical watercolours. I will be selling my handmade baby headbands. And just to convince those of you still on the fence about coming: Abigail will be with me all day selling those baby headbands. She might even wear a couple!

    Beyond the first three designs I created (one of which I didn't replicate because Abigail deserves a one-of-a-kind) I have been focusing at letting myself create on a whim. Each headband has been hand cut, sewn and adorned. I love each piece, and have not added it to the "sell bin" until I was absolutely in love with it. I try each design on Abby before it goes in the bin too- to see how it fits, sits and photographs.  Here's a sneak peek of what I've been working on since my last post about the fair: 




This headband is a part of a mommy and me set. The mommy headband has a simpler , but matching adornment. I think I might make a few more of these before tomorrow's show!



This lacey number is made up of a sewing remnant I thrifted online on Kijiji- I went to pick up free potholders a few years back and ended up having dinner with the sweetest elderly couple.  The woman gave me a large bag of sewing remnants, lace and buttons as well as two vintage suitcases! I loved using this crocheted trim; reminds me of their kindness.











I've loved experimenting with shapes, colours, styles and textures. Creating these headbands has been such a labour of love. I really enjoy doing it while watching a show before bed. Some nights I crank out five before I remember I have to go to work early the next morning and force myself to go to bed. I'm thinking of opening an etsy shop to keep myself motivate. Maybe even do commissions and special orders. What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment