Monday 21 January 2013

Supply & Demand

        There has been an exciting buzz around this apartment, and indeed around the whole city, these past few weeks. Our dear friends Jennifer and Stephen Wall, have finally realized their dreams and are the proud owners of a new restaurant. We could stop there, saying they're just our friends, that they're great people and that this is a VERY exciting new chapter in their lives- but that would be such a gross understatement of both how incredibly awesome this place is, and how much they mean to us.

Steve and his team making magic happen.    


      Jen and Steve have been my surrogate Ottawa family for more than two years now. I worked for them as their nanny before becoming a mother myself this past Summer. Jen has seen me through many a dramatic experience during those two years, and even though it's only been that long I feel like we've been friends forever. She and Steve have gone out of their way to make sure that I felt at home here in Ottawa (even getting me a pumpkin pie when I found myself separated from family on Thanksgiving). They have invited me to family functions, included me in  celebrations and were the shoulders I cried on when life got tough. 

          Jen was also one of the first people we called when we found out we were pregnant. Why? Because she's a great friend, employer and person in general? Sure, but also because she is the reason Mark and I met. Mark and she worked at the same restaurant, town. for quite a while. She poked and prodded us both into introducing ourselves when we found ourselves single. She was the tiny whisper in our ears saying, "go for it!" I even remember texting her frantically when I was getting ready for my first date with Mark. 
         Boy was she right about him. She must know us better than we know ourselves. We are a perfect match, and we are so thankful to her for knowing that! Now she and Steve have employed Mark as their head bartender. Holy smokes what an honour! And so our families will continue to stay connected. We couldn't be happier.

Abigail and her Aunty Beth at Supply & Demand, this past Saturday


A family affair: Kinley and her Grandmother and cousin Max sure made Abigail feel like part of the Supply & Demand family.


         Abigail, her Aunt Beth and I attended the first dry run at Supply & Demand this past weekend and man oh man it did NOT disappoint. I won't pretend to be a great connoisseur of food and drink, nor will I say that I've tried many fine dining establishments (though probably more than most people in my tax bracket thanks to friends in the industry) but holy-giant-list-of-expletives! Stephen Wall and his team are magicians...absolutely nothing short of MAGIC came from that kitchen. If you are in Ottawa ever, even just for a few hours, you have got to make your way out to this place. 
         Located in the trendy and pedestrian-friendly neighbourhood of Wellington West, Supply & Demand is both a beautiful place to see and a mouth-watering experience for your tastebuds. Small plates to share and entrĂ©es to knock your socks off. If you have room for dessert, try the trifle; sponge toffee and earl grey? You read my mind. 
           They open to the public today, so get on your phones and make a reservation, or two. Trust me, you'll be going back for more!



No comments:

Post a Comment